Friday 5 December 2014

16 Days of Activism Contribution



I don’t actually think commemorating 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence (GBV) will yield any big results. Women will continue to be brutalised, raped and killed. I, however, believe that just like with other important days we observe, it gives us an opportunity to discuss certain issues that are usually left on the wayside as we concentrate on the “more important issues”.
Gender-based violence, in my opinion, is mostly a product of poor communication between men and women. Deceit, power play, and especially sex have contributory roles in how people end up holding each other’s throats instead of hands. I really went to town trying to analyse how I view relations between men and women – the cheating in marriages, how married women are mostly at the losing end while men emerge victors most of the time, and how women view sex and what they really treasure in their relationships with men.  
I was fortunate to get contributions from my good friends Vitalis and Peace, which I’m publishing verbatim to avoid any distortion. I’m sure most men won’t like what I write about their treatment of women and will think I just hate men in general. Not true, I like men so much that I even went ahead and married one of them. But I keep my eyes and ears open and observe things.
My contribution to the 16 Days of Activism against GBV is in the articles To have and to (strangle) hold, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”, and What do women want, really. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment