Friday 12 December 2014

My 11 Favourite Things in the World



1.       Mazoe Orange / Raspberry/ Cream Soda/Blackberry

   I am yet to encounter crushes and syrups as tasty as this Zimbabwean brand. The South African Mazoe Orange comes a little close, but it has 11% pure orange juice in comparison to the 50% in the Zimbabwean one. I’ve searched far and wide for a replacement for the Mazoe brand, but I’m yet to find it. I even tried various concoctions of Oros, but decided if I can’t get Mazoe, then I should stick to water and rooibos. They are healthier versions anyway.

2.       House of Gallia Vanishing Cream

     The last time I used Gallia products was before my wedding in 2005. Then I went to Ezulwini Pick ‘n Pay and came across this vanishing cream. After years of using Johnson and Johnson’s and Ponds products, I decided to try it. I wasn’t disappointed. With SPF 15, it also has this rich finish on the skin and I’m not left with the residual white flakes that come with some vanishing creams to rub off my face and palms.





3.       Ranch House Cheeky Chilli

This particular brand is super if you like a bit of heat in your food. Some might say chilli is chilli, but they won’t say the same after trying out this one. I use it in meat, green vegetables, sugar beans, as well as in marinades. 









4.       Vitamin C Skin Boost from The Body Shop
This provided my turning point with facial serums. It has the most delicious scent I’ve ever come across in cosmetics. The smell is citrusy and it feels like heaven on the skin. The velvety texture on my face feels like I’ve spread clouds on it, that’s the best way I can describe it, I guess.  If I could nominate my favourite beauty product, this would be it! But like most products from The Body Shop, this serum doesn’t come cheap. When I got it, it cost R180 for 30 ml. I only got it once, not I settle for cheaper brands, but I have kept the empty bottle just to look at it and muse over that divine smell and feel on my skin.  



5.       Countrystyle Boerewors

This, for me, is the absolute best boerewors in the whole wide world. It’s a product of Colcom Zimbabwe. The last time I had it, it didn’t have additives that ended up overpowering the natural smell of the pork used to make the boerewors. I would not go to Zimbabwe and not buy and eat Countrystyle Boerewors, otherwise the whole trip would be pointless. Colcom makes really delicious products. I’m also a fan of their polonies, especially the garlic one.

6.       Seed bread

    I was brought up to believe that breakfast equals tea and bread. What you put between the slices might vary, but it cannot be breakfast without bread. Now that I’m all grown up and everywhere I turn is an article written about how bad bread is for my health, I’m at a loss over what to have for breakfast.  I have oats, but I must follow them up with tea and bread. So now I avoid ordinary white and brown bread and opt for whole-wheat, rye, and seed bread.  Anything that’s touted as healthy and I’m there like a bear. This dissipates the guilt of putting bad food in my body, which my bible says is the temple of the Lord and must not be defiled. Now Prof Tim Noakes has declared all flours, including rye and whole-wheat unhealthy, what shall I eat? That bible I mentioned above says man shall not live on bread alone, so I have to find options, and soon!

7.       Cerevita

This, in my books, is the best cereal ever! A product of Nestle Zimbabwe, it can be enjoyed by young and old and comes in Corn and Soya, Corn and Wheat, Corn and Banana, Corn and Choco malt flavours.  My favourite is Corn and Banana, followed by Corn and Wheat. I don’t like Corn and Choco malt because I think it’s too strong for my palate. I don’t like anything with chocolate flavour, including ice cream, except chocolate bars and chocolate cake.

8.       Stationary Bike
 
I’m a heavy TV watcher and have programmes that I hate missing while going out to jog. The stationary bike ensures that I will never have an excuse to be a couch potato ever again. I can work out while watching TV and spending time with my family. When it’s hot inside, I can take it out and cycle. When it’s raining and I can’t jog, I can just use the bike and not feel bad about missing a workout.  Although I feel jogging on the road, not on the treadmill, is more effective than cycling, this bike is a treasure.




9.       Homemade Peanut butter from Zimbabwe

I’m a creature of habit and find it hard to acclimatize to different products. This is why I continue to feel that where food is concerned, Zimbabwean brands are the best. Homemade peanut butter from Zimbabwe comprises of roasted peanuts and a bit of salt ONLY, no emulsifiers and sugars and other funny ingredients.  The factory-produced ones in Zimbabwe are almost as good because they also never put sugar, but I’ll take home-made peanut butter over any other brand.

10.   Sweet Potatoes

I grew up having these for breakfast with tea when they were in season. I preferred bread. Now that they aren’t as easily available to me and I’ve become more health conscious, I crave them. I tried buying some in retail shops in South Africa but was badly disappointed. After cooking they came out all soggy and pathetic on the plate, and tasted abominable. I like the ones from Zimbabwe and Swaziland for their firmness. It’s almost difficult to tell if they are cooked to perfecting because they remain solid even after boiling. People have told me about various tastier ways to prepare them. Some said chips can be made out of them, others said they can be drenched in olive oil and roasted, but I will stick with boiling them. I don’t have to add any grease to them, just a bit of salt and they are perfect.

11.   Macadamia Nuts

These are my absolute favourite of all nuts. Usually I can’t have more than a handful of peanuts, but I can wipe a medium pack of macadamia nuts all by myself in one sitting. their price is prohibitive, though. But once in a while I like to spoil myself.

1 comment:

  1. 1,3,5,7,9 most definitely agree. Then the is colcom's pork pie. ummmmm!

    ReplyDelete