Thursday 26 January 2017

Celebrating my strange connection with Black aka Colin Vearncombe

Black aka Colin Vearncombe (Picture from his Facebook page)
 (26 May 1962 – 26 January 2016)

Everyone has that song that takes them back to an occasion and makes them either smile or feel a pang of nostalgia or pain. For me, that song is Wonderful Life by Black aka Colin Vearncombe. I actually don’t remember how that song found me. What I do remember, though, is that it was when I suffered some misfortune far away from home and all alone in October 2012. I added it to my playlist on YouTube and played it over and over again. It was like a special message that Black had for me. Of the views that the video carries on the platform, a few hundred could be mine J . That track carried me through one of the most difficult times of my life, and every time I felt tears threatening to well up, I’d play it and immediately felt better.
It got to a point where I had such a strong connection with the song that I felt like I knew Black personally. Like I’d one day meet him on the street or I’d find an email from him asking to meet for a cuppa and ask, “So Charlotte,how are you feeling today?” I know it sounds crazy; it probably is! But sometimes when you're in a bad emotional place, you need something to hold on to. I held on to Wonderful Life. Music speaks to me. I was very heartbroken💔 to hear of his death in January 2016, just a few days after it happened. I had visited the video again and saw a comment, “Rest in peace Colin Vearncombe.” I wondered who that was and googled the name, only to realise that was Black’s real name. Oh I was gutted! Then today I was playing that song again on YouTube and realised it was the first anniversary of his death (must be that special connection again that took me there!😉). I continue to be sad. He still had a lot to offer to the world. Because of the connection I felt with him through his song, I worried about his family and how they were coping with their loss. I pray they are fine. I did manage to write in his memory book on his website, and feel good about that. Thank you Black for the lovely music. May your soul rest in eternal peace. May the Lord keep his family strong❤💓.

No comments:

Post a Comment