Saturday 20 February 2016

El Nino effect in pictures


The way I now anticipate rains like a farmer!  To think that at some point when I was still dating, I hated it when it rained.  Then it would become difficult to justify walking out into the rain “to see a friend”. My strict parents would say, “What friend would ask you to go out when it’s pouring like this?”

Never in my life have I been this hot. There was a day when I walked to the shops and felt as if my shoes were melting on my feet. Last year I had a bumper harvest of sorts from my little garden. This year the same garden has been a sorry sightL. The dams are an even sorrier sight. I managed to take a few hurried photos of dams and rivers in Swaziland, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.  How we will get through the year with so little water available is actually quite a scary prospect. Trees and grass are growing where dams used to exist. We just have to keep praying for the best. 


Save River in Mozambique

What used to be a river on the Chivhu-Beitbridge Road, Zimbabwe
Critically low water levels in Rusape Dam, Zimbabwe. All those rocks used to be submerged at some point
That whole area my family is walking on was the centre of the Rusape dam





All the four pictures above represent my "bumper harvest" from my garden last year. J




We enjoyed many meals like this one a lot last year, the green is pumpkin leaves, a family favourite

How the garden looked this year :'(


This was all we harvested this year

No comments:

Post a Comment