Tuesday 26 January 2016

How important are our first languages?

Happy New Year everyone! May 2016 be kind to all of us. I know it’s a bit late to be saying this now after I’ve already posted a few things here. I meant to write about my visit to Zimbabwe during the festive season earlier, but things just keep getting in the way. I will get round to it, there is a lot that happened that I have to talk about.
Relocation to foreign lands has resulted in children who can't speak their parents' home languages
Our recent visit home was the first for my 2-year-old who was born in South Africa, while my 10-year-old was last home in 2011. It was an exciting trip for all of us as family members were keen to see the “new baby”, who they were surprised to find was pretty much old enough to run her own show, and theirs!
I patted myself on the back (just a little bit) when I got home and my children were conversant with our mother language, Shona. Many people were quite amazed as it has become the norm for children coming from the diaspora not to speak or understand their parents’ first language. I am very uncomfortable with that, and a little embarrassed too when the elderly and those that can’t speak English cannot communicate and bond with little relatives living in other parts of the world because of the language barrier. Where a grandmother is supposed to have fun with her grandchildren, she is found biting her tongue and stumbling over her words as she tries to construct a meaningful English sentence. She sees a millipede and wants to excitedly point that to her grandchild who might never have seen one kuti, “Hona zongororo!” (Look at that millipede!) and just ends up saying, “Look! Look!” animatedly because, for the love of God, she doesn’t know the equivalent of zongororo in English. Precious moments are lost and poor grandparents are restricted to just overfeeding their grandchildren, presenting dish after dish of food in front of them with broad smiles on their faces as a way of expressing their love because they can’t talk to each other.
It’s not just the children caught up in this quandary. One day I met a woman I grew up with, and was very excited to see her as it had been long. We hugged and jumped around some, and two minutes into the conversation I discovered we were not speaking the same language anymore. I was speaking in Shona and she kept responding in English. To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement. She was with her mother, who just stood beside her with a sheepish smile on her face, probably feeling embarrassed for her offspring and wondering what had happened to her flesh and blood’s tongue. I quickly removed myself from my old friend’s presence and realised what we shared before was completely lost L.
Another time, I met a former schoolmate who actually grew up in the rural areas (where people have a richer culture than in cities) but had gone up in the world and was keen to show that off. I greeted her and was again taken aback when not a word of Shona could come out of her mouth. It was utterly shocking! We exchanged numbers and promised to visit each other as we stayed not too far from each other, but as we parted ways, I knew I would not be calling her L. I felt, for the second time, that we did not have any common ground anymore. When in a group with people who do not speak Shona, the polite thing is to speak English, or whatever common language you have with the other people. But to fail to speak Shona amongst ourselves, with nobody else present is ridiculous.
I believe we need to guard our first languages jealously as it is the only thing setting us apart from people from anywhere else in the world. We can be in a room full of fellow Africans and might all look the same, but there has to be that special something that distinguishes us from the rest. Many people find it shameful to speak their languages among people from other countries. Even back home, there are children who can’t speak Shona because their parents prefer it that way. Speaking English is seen as a sign that you’ve progressed, you are doing well in life, and you are classy. I think our children, by all means, should be fluent in English because they have to be able to communicate with people of other nationalities. But they should also be able to speak Shona so that they are able to communicate with their kith and kin. But different strokes for different folks, right? Some people I spoke to said they couldn’t care less that their children could not speak their home languages because they hardly visited their home countries anyway. On the other hand, others, especially those in the West, said they worked extremely long hours and didn’t really have time enough time with their kids to incorporate Shona lessons. That is quite unfortunate. I am fortunate that I have time to teach my children my language, our language, which I am very proud of.
I spoke to a good number of my friends, resident outside Zimbabwe or other countries they come from, about how their children fared regarding the language issue. Below are their responses. I know it’s a lot of reading, but do try to go through all their comments. I found them quite interesting. On that note, I would like to thank all my long-suffering friends who are always willing to be bombarded by my surveys. May God bless you and give you strength and tolerance because I have more surveys up my sleeve for 2016. Love you all <3.

Responses:

Charlene* (Zimbabwean in Qatar): He loves Shona and thinks it’s so fascinating so I try to teach him but I rarely have time for it. What I have done is taught him a couple of songs. He likes to harmonize with me. We are at work most of the time. What I’m grateful for is his keen interest. I hope it stays that way because I find some kids in the diaspora don’t even want to know their languages. They are actually embarrassed. Shona can help them in the future. I’ve seen it firsthand here in Qatar where they employ people according to nationality. If you are employed company isina wekumusha kwako wadzva (where there are no fellow countrymen), you will not survive. Each nationality tries to dominate and kick you or undermine the other, and those that speak same language can help each other progress because the working culture here allows multi languages in office or on site because the whole workforce is made up of foreign nationals. So the more languages one can speak, the better. It’s a bit weird here. Vanoto advertiser kuti “Indian or Nepalese wanted for a position” (They actually run adverts based on nationality).

Sam (Zimbabwean in South Africa): They both speak both languages. My family is Shona and their mother is Sotho from Zimbabwe but they use Ndebele. You know what socio-linguistics say about language acquisitions at a tender age; there is a blank slate on the human brain that is responsible for language acquisition and it’s most effective at a young age.

Seble (Ethiopian in Swaziland): My kids are 7, 4, and 1. I believe they understand a few words of Amharic because they don’t have much exposure to the language. We are very far from home and are exposed to very different languages and culture. We do speak Amharic at home, though. I believe as they grow older, my 4 and 1 year-old will have an understanding and should be able to speak the language. It is up to parents to teach kids because they are very receptive. They must relate to who they are through speaking their home language.

Namatayi (Zimbabwean in the UK): They hear and understand some words. I lived alone with my son from birth so he did not pick up the Shona language as there was no other person in the house for me to converse with. Secondly we live in a country where English is predominantly used. At school it’s all they use. Third, I’m not really bothered whether they speak or hear/understand Shona as they are able to communicate with my mum, relatives and grandparents well even with broken English lol. I speak Shona because I was born in a household where Shona was spoken. I did not have to be taught the language – I just listened when others were talking and I understood and spoke too, whereas I had to be taught English. I have also observed that some kids who are not fluent in English or whose first language is not English tend to be alienated by their peers and some become victims of bullying. I was a bit disturbed when a little girl from Rwanda who goes to Sean’s school was awarded a certificate for “being able to construct a whole sentence in English independently.”

Chiz (Zimbabwean in South Africa): Of course, my kids can speak Shona mainly because it’s strictly Shona at home. They can’t speak deep Shona, though, because even I can’t speak that as well.  They also can’t read it, obviously. And another thing, whenever I go home, people are surprised that my kids can speak Shona. I don’t know what all the fuss is about, but I get all the praises for that.

Wunmi (Nigerian in South Africa): my kids can understand about 70% of my home language but they can’t speak it. I do encourage them to, but due to laziness they don’t. I think lack of consistency on my part is the reason why my kids don’t speak and understand the language 100%. We speak to them in English and not in Yoruba. We should have also have, from birth, made the language of communication in the house Yoruba.

Esnath (Zimbabwean in South Africa): Yes, she can speak and I think she understands 100%. Accent is a bit funny but it’s ok. What really helped is that we got a helper from Zimbabwe and my daughter believed that helper could not understand English. As a result she made sure to speak Shona whenever she conversed with her. And it’s like that up to today. I think speaking Shona helps with identity and it will also be cool 15 years from now when she meets another Shona speaker from HarvardJ.

Wilbright (Zimbabwean in South Africa): They can speak Shona, but not fluently. They don’t understand much of it. They can’t write in Shona and they also don’t know the meanings of most words. I should say they will be in a position to communicate with elders but not too deeply. Only one reason to them not being able to speak is that they didn’t grow up among Shona-speaking people and their friends at home and at school speak English. They speak a bit because they hear us speaking at home and at church.

Jasper (Zimbabwean in South Africa): She can speak very good Shona, but sometimes it’s broken and she mixes up words. There are a lot of Shonas in the area we stay, so it makes it easy for her to practice speaking the language. If she’s playing with a Shona and a Xhosa, she will use the mother language of each of them when talking to them. Next year she will be going to an Afrikaans school so she can have an advantage.

Mary (Zimbabwean in the UK): She can’t. And how I so wish she could! She understands some words. She can’t speak because she is cared for by Ghanaian twins for 80% of the time. So she speaks fluent English, limited understanding of Shona and limited understanding of Twi. I have been told to speak to her in Shona till she gets it. I take her to Zimbabwe every year for her to learn. But the people at home all default to English when communicating with her even when I ask them not to.

Rumbi (Zimbabwean in Mozambique): They speak and understand a little but if it becomes too deep, it’s difficult for them to understand. The reason is they were born in Bulawayo; language is Ndebele though at home we encouraged them to speak Shona, but because of schools, they are comfortable with English. We moved again to Swaziland and the school being English medium, they stick to English. And now in Maputo where first language is Portuguese, they are trying to master it too.

A monument at Save Bridge, Mozambique
Daniel (Zimbabwean in South Africa): Now they understand some words and say a few words. The big problem was the crèche spoke English and Afrikaans and he obviously spent quite a bit of time there. So when Bradley was younger we had to speak English for him to understand us and also help him with his English, but now we speak Shona and he understands but can’t speak all the words. The little one’s comprehension of Shona is better and faster because we all speak it, including her brother.

Rejoice (Zimbabwean in South Africa): My children can speak a little, but they understand and reply in English. Their father instructed them to speak Shona indoors and English outdoors.

Sekai (Zimbabwean in SA): All my kids can speak Shona and they understand it, I think it’s because we use Shona at home. They are not exposed to any other language at home except English and Shona. Not speaking our language harms our culture.

Miriam (Zimbabwean in Botswana): my kids understand Shona and English but it seems now it’s easier for them to use English even at home. First two years I teach Shona and when they start crèche I start English. Because they will be struggling, I also try and help at home but I notice the second born had it easier because of the older sister. Shona may somewhat become like a second language because English becomes more dominant after they start school. I would love them to be able to communicate with our countrymen, both young and old when we go back to Zimbabwe.

Chinga (Zimbabwean in South Africa): My daughter understands Shona very well but she can’t speak it.

Ottilia (Zimbabwean in South Africa): They can both speak Shona. I have taught them so they know my language. However, it’s broken at times, plus deep words havanzwe (they don’t understand).

Fortunate (Zimbabwean in South Africa): Ryan does speak and understand layman’s Shona though he prefers English and isiZulu. The funny thing is I know he doesn’t enjoy speaking Shona but hey I do force him.

Leslie (Zimbabwean in South Africa): They can speak and understand Shona. This is because we speak Shona at home.

Farikanai (Zimbabwean in Namibia): My kids understand but they can’t speak Shona. I talk to them in Shona but they answer back in English. They even have British accents kkkkk because they learn with whites. I think it’s inborn for them. Havadi (they don’t like) Shona kkkk. I think it’s because they are still young. When they are grown they’ll love Shona I’m sure.

Vongai (Zimbabwean in South Africa): Mine can speak and understand but have not been exposed to writing it. Speaking as well is not so perfect because exposure is only at home where we are mixing with English as we are used to communicating with people of various languages.



No comments:

Post a Comment