Monday 25 January 2016

Fly high Veronica Mhere



I am extremely sad to be writing an obituary so early in the year. I was quite upset to receive word on the passing of someone I knew just a little, but who touched my life in a big way and she did not even know it.  Veronica Mhere-Dzinomurumbi was one of my sister’s closest friends from high school. We knew her well before we met her from stories that my sister, Tadiwa, told about her. Eventually I met her and she struck me as this exuberant character, and that explained why she had made such an impact on my sister.
Strange that I should be writing about my sister’s friend who I only had minimal contact with, but she made a generous gesture that I shall never forget. For someone who wasn’t really my friend, we had quite a few things in common. We got married during the same year and wore the same wedding dress because she lent me hers. It was gorgeous and fit like a glove. I dazzled on my wedding day, thanks to her. My mother-in-law, a traditional woman, had her work cut out for her pulling and tugging the dress on the special day because the dress showed too much skin as far as she was concerned J. In the run-up to the wedding, it felt like I was being overtaken by events because I had been denied leave to prepare. When the dress was offered, I quickly snapped it because I was clueless where to get one quickly. I was prepared to pay for it, but Vero refused to accept the money. That also meant a lot to me because with the wedding around the corner, the coffers were running dry and we were trying to pinch pennies wherever we could. I remember buying her a peach bed cover after my wedding, just to say thank you.  She also offered the cake stands. Every time I peruse my wedding photos, I will remember this fantastic woman.
Veronica and I shared August 2 as our birthday, and our first-born children were also born on the same day, January 12. I’m sad for her child who only just turned 10 and has lost a mother. It’s always heartbreaking when a young mother dies. May the good Lord watch over her precious children. They must have been the one thing on her mind when she took ill and knew she would not make it. My heart really bleeds for her and the kids, as it does for every mother that leaves her brood.
I have written this post with hopes that one day, when her kids are old enough to surf the net, they can see yet another testimony of what a lovely human being their mom was, and hopefully emulate. I
know they will get many other versions of her beautiful spirit from other sources. 
Veronica’s death has taught me to appreciate every waking moment, every day that I wake up and my children say, “Good morning mummy.” There is so much to be depressed about in life, but the fact that we are here now - the gift of life far outweighs all the negatives. Sleep peacefully Veronica, I pray for your soul, and I pray for the loved ones you left behind, especially the children. The world is a much poorer place without you in it.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. may she rest in peace. taken so young so soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very young :(. Thank you for passing by.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post. I guess today was the day that I was old enough to surf the net and find your article. Thank you for writing about my mother, my aunt practically raised me just like my parents did her. Your post is so appreciated especially today.

    Happy birthday to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, so sorry about your loss. She really was a beautiful human being. We had the same birthday. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  4. Miss you so much my dear sister.

    ReplyDelete