Wednesday 18 November 2015

The Loyalty of Dogs



I am an ardent dog lover, even though I sadly do not have one at the moment. I grew up with dogs as brothers and sisters, even though I had human siblings too. I vividly remember their names – Savage, Soft, Dissident, Winds, and after the first Winds died, we had yet another Winds, who I loved dearly.
In the run-up to the commemoration of the 9/11 attacks, there were numerous documentaries, which I avidly followed. Of the many moving accounts I listened to, I was particularly drawn to the one about Salty, a Labrador Retriever.  He was a guide dog that guided his visually challenged owner, Omar Rivera, who worked on the 71st floor of Tower 1 of the World Trade Center to safety. Also playing hero at the time of the attacks was Roselle, another Labrador Retriever who also led her owner, Michael Hingson, to safety. Read here for detailed accounts of the dogs’ heroic antics.
There are countless stories of dogs doing awesome things that will just bedazzle you. Because I love canines so much, their stories always catch my attention. I recently read about the tear-jerking story of a pregnant dog in Chile breastfeeding a starving 2-year-old, and another dog rescuing a newborn baby that had been dumped in a bin. In light of all the wonderful things that dogs do, I don’t understand it when people describe things that have  deteriorated as having “gone to the dogs”. Going to the dogs should actually be a good thing as there is a lot to be emulated from these four-legged friends. People also describe misery as “a dog’s life”, and a messy situation is described as looking like “a dog’s breakfast”. In my mother-tongue, among the worst insults you can ever get from anyone is to be called “Imbwa yemunhu!”
Let me get back to my own dog story. On the days I came back home from university after a long time, Winds would run for me and fall short of tripping me with joy. He would then gently take my wrist between his jaws and walk with me to the house. This he did to avoid any of my parents’ lodgers shaking my hand in greeting. If anybody dared, woe betides! When I was heavily pregnant and had to go home to visit my hospitalized mother, I was sure winds would not remember me, but lo and behold he was still madly excited to see me. Winds was the epitome of home. If any of my sisters went home, we would all ask after Winds’ health. He was a crucial part of the family. At around the age of three or four, my son, Victor, was a cry baby. If I sneezed, sometimes he would start crying in annoyance and if we asked what he was crying for, he would say, “Ndiri kuchemera madzihwa.” Loosely translated it means I’m crying for your mucous, but he actually meant he was annoyed or upset about my sneezing. One day he sneezed and I started imitating his wailing. Winds was sitting next to me, and immediately started howling with me in the same manner. It was the most mind-blowing moment of my relationship with the dog.  My mother was sitting with us and was equally tickled by Winds’ behaviour. Funny as it was, it just showed me Winds’ empathetic side, something I have failed to get from some human beings I’ve met in the walk of life.
Winds’ compassion didn’t end there. About two years after the crying incident, my mother took ill and could not get out of her room for some days. Winds was very perceptive and knew this was unheard of. Mum was always hustling and bustling around the yard and never went down with anything. Dogs in our household were not allowed to come and sit in the house, but Winds too his chances. He would make his way to mum’s room and just sit on the floor, watching her. No one chased him away because they could all feel his pain. Another time when exceptions had to be made was during the festive season when fire crackers would go off during the night. He would get into the house, tail between his legs like a new son-in-law and curl into a miserable ball at our feet.  Winds would be so petrified it was sad to watch. Sometimes, however, we would find him sleeping on beds with his head on the pillow, like the pigs in George Orwell’s Animal Farm even though there were no firecrackers.
My son was a handful sometimes, and to get him to co-operate, I had to threaten him with a stick. Winds did not stand for that. As soon as he saw me with the stick, he would come for me guns blazing! He would bark angrily until I dropped the stick. One day I defied him and he bit me on the left foot. He was also very intolerant of people treading on his tail.  All hell would break loose. Unfortunately he liked sitting in the dark passageway where trampling his tail was inevitable.   
Winds was trained to go to the back of the house if he needed to relieve himself. Like any naughty child, however, sometimes he would just drop it at the front of the house where his little heap would be the first to greet visitors. My brother, upon seeing it, would ask, “Winds, chii icho?” (Winds, what is that?) Winds would melt away to the back of the house with the Greg Focker of Meet the Parents hangdog look after he was caught out on bringing home a fake Mr Jinx.
Everyone in my family has their own sweet Winds story. When my father called to let me know that Winds had died, I wept quietly. He was a part of our family and showed us that it’s quite possible to love another species more than members of your own. I prepared a good meal in his memory, and asked my husband and son to bow their head as we observed a moment of silence in respect of our dearly departed shaggy friend and almost brother.
This was a long and winding version of my supreme respect for dogs, which look out for the interest of humans, and my consummate revulsion of fellow human beings who torment both animals and those of their own ilk. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach when I see pictures of trophy hunters and hear news of senseless killings around the world. This past weekend Paris was attacked and at least 130 people were killed. Not too long ago, Garissa University in Nairobi was attacked and at least 147 students killed. It has become a daily occurrence. People get murdered, raped, and abused in all manner and former by fellow human beings. What happened to being your brother’s keeper? May God intervene.      


No comments:

Post a Comment