Wednesday 18 February 2015

Different Strokes


I have a very funny uncle that I haven’t seen in a very long time! He told me a story of how he went drinking with some friends in rural Mutare, Zimbabwe. On his return home, he found the river he wanted to cross in order to get there flooded. Aided by his Dutch courage, he told himself he could easily swim across. Midway, the tide overpowered him and he was swept away. Fortunately for him, there were people around and they managed to rescue him and took him home. The next day, when he was sober, they came to ask him why he had concentrated on raising his hand above the water to avoid water getting into his beer bottle instead of freeing that arm to swim to safety. He only laughed foolishly.
What reminded me of this story was something that happened to a friend’s brother. A gas stove exploded and his dreadlocks and shorts somehow caught fire. While his head was up in flames, he was more worried about extinguishing the fire on his shorts because he was petrified of the thought of the family jewels getting roasted. I would have been more worried about protecting my face and most importantly my brain!
Well, different strokes for different folks :).

No comments:

Post a Comment