Saturday 30 January 2016

The most fearful journey I ever had

Outside The Royal Belfast Hotel
My trip back to Swaziland after enjoying the festive season in Zimbabwe was quite nightmarish. Somewhere along the way while we were heading towards Jane Furse in South Africa, our car developed a problem and limited speed to just 60km/hour, nothing above that. It got dark and we were on an unfamiliar unlit road for about 60km. at some point, the car must have hit a pothole and veered off the road and zigzagged for a few metres before stabilizing. I noticed that there was a car which was steadily following us all the way and wouldn’t overtake. My husband tried indicating that it was safe to overtake but it just continued to follow us at that slow pace. I was really terrified out of my head and snapped at my 10-year-old who persistently asked me to spell lizard. He had no idea what was happening around him and that my mind was quite a tumultuous place at that point in time. I silently prayed for safety and started removing important things from my handbag while being mindful to leave a bit of money in it, in case we were about to be robbed and the robber would probably just ask for the bag and run with it. A part of me also feared what if they just want to take the car and I’ve put a substantial amount of money, bank cards and driver’s licence in the compartment at the back of a seat? How would I retrieve them? I did not even communicate my fear with my husband because vocalizing them would have probably have worsened our situation by causing panic. Just before a town called Stoffberg, the car tailing us suddenly overtook and sped off into the night. I was, and still really convinced that our lives were under some kind of threat, and was really relieved when the car left us alone. If anything bad had happened to us, it would have been difficult for anyone to know what happened to us because the road was totally deserted.
I suggested to my husband that we used the navigator to find accommodation. There were no visible hotels, but there were some lodges. We tried to go to one but the road leading to it was unlit and untarred. I refused to proceed because we didn’t know the neighbourhood and associated dangers. I insisted that we went to the police station to inquire. The police officer on duty called the one he thought was an option but it was fully booked. He said the nearest place we could get accommodation was in the next town, Belfast, which was about 50 km away. After our episode earlier, I insisted that we put up in the car at the police station. My husband refused and insisted that we went to Belfast. The road was even worse. It was extremely dark and ours was the only car on it. Who knew why other people weren’t using it? What if there was a history of sinister things happening on it? I was back to saying my prayers again.
People get raped and butchered in the comfort of their own homes in South Africa, and there we were moving around in dark places whose history we didn’t even know.  There can’t be worse folly than that. Eventually we got to Belfast and saw an arrow leading to The Royal Belfast Hotel. I had never been so happy to see a building, any building in my life before! Upon getting into the premises, we discovered that it was just a seedy backpacker’s accommodation, nothing at all royal about the place, but who cared! Certainly not me! I’m usually picky about accommodation but I was so thrilled to be off the road, inside a building where I could lock a door!
Inside the 'hotel'. To the right of the wash basin is the toilet
I hope I never have to go through what I went through that day. I remember watching a Steven Segal movie where he left a note for his nemesis written, “The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.” I tell you, if you didn’t know already, feeling endangered is the worst thing ever! We might not have been in danger, but I believe we were. If it were up to me, I’d never have travelled with 2 small kids into the dark night not knowing what dangers were lurking out there. I would have quickly looked for accommodation before sundown. In Shona we say kumhanya hakusi kusvika, rushing isn’t necessarily arriving. I would have gladly put up at the police station. Safety means more to me than comfort. Every time I think about that night, I get shivers down my spine. Who said there’s security in numbers? Sometimes the risk is actually higher than when you are on your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment